Tuesday 14 February 2012

A non-trad roar in the crowd

I know its been a long time since I last wrote on this blog. I can blame it on not having enough time in my life or for being too shy to write (both of which are sort of true). But the real reason is that I've not been inspired to write. But yesterday that all changed.

I've always found it difficult to get the voice of us non-trad librarians heard over the din of the library speak.  Yesterday was different. Yesterday the trad community sought me and my voice. The voice of the different - but the same.

@TheDIYLibrarian came to my office to find out what I do and how it relates to professional practice for her CILIP Chartership. And to her surprise (but not mine) the non-trad role I hold is a lot closer to the trad than she anticipated. But of course!

I often worried that what I do is seen not always seen as professional (though I don't know why I worry since I'm Chartered and passed first time). But it was good to see a real life person nod at the righ places; ask questions about my practice and acknowledge that what I do is professional.

So what next? Well my hope is that @TheDIYLibrarian won't be the last to visit.  I'm hoping she'll tell her friends and they'll tell their friends and people will get excited to visit and learn about non-trad information professionals.  So if you know of someone who needs to find out what we non-trads do, schedule a vist with us and ask us questions.  See how we're different - but also see our similarities!

No comments:

Post a Comment